Abbey Church of St. Michael’s

Abbey Church of St. Michael’s

Date 1001-33

Movement Early Medieval | Ottonian

Located at Hildesheim, Germany

 

This structure was commissioned by Bernward, the bishop of Hildesheim at the time. As at St. Gall, there are two choirs and multiple side entrances, and a cubic module has been imposed as well; the central, arcaded nave is broken into three parts by piers. The cubic module is viewable from the exterior as well—the transept and their towers, connected by the central nave, appear to have been composed of equal boxes stacked upon one another. The wall space between the arcade and clerestory were originally covered in frescoes as in early Christian basilicas, but were damaged during World War II. The capitals date to the twelfth century, the painted wooden ceiling to the thirteenth.