Artist Naumburg Master
Date consecrated 1044 (ca. 1249-55 interior sculptures)
Located at Naumburg, Germany
German exteriors in during the Gothic period continued to be built in the Romanesque manner; Gothic influence can rather be seen in the interiors, perhaps even more so than in French cathedrals.
German Gothic sculpture takes upon significantly more gravity than its lyrical, French counterpart; note the gravity of the expressions and the weight of Christ’s body on the Crucifixion program of the choir screen. The Kiss of Judas scene is likewise significantly more dramatic and active than the aloof French depictions of this era.
Eekard and Uta
Nobles who were crucial benefactors of Naumburg cathedral were added to the responds of the choir under Bishop Dietrich II’s direction, as a way of highlighting their generosity and encouraging the parish to donate to a new choir. Incredibly detailed, personalized and realistic qualities highlight the increasing emphasis placed on individual members of society at this time.