Date begun ca. 1298
Located at Siena, Italy
Siena was a rival of Florence and eventually became its military better in 1260, implementing the Virgin as its protector and patron. The Palazzo Pubblico was commissioned by Siena’s council of the Nine, or Nove, to serve as the seat of the civil government. Similar to the Palazzo Vecchio in that it rises three stories and is topped by battlements; however, its façade is more elegant and refined. The tower, completed in the 1340s, purposefully rises higher than its Florentine counterpart.