Architect Michelozzo di Bartolomeo
Date begun 1444
Movement Italian Renaissance
Located at Florence, Italy
Cosimo de’Medici forwent a plan submitted by Brunelleschi, perhaps because it was too ornate. Michelozzo’s design offers a more-refined version of the fortress-like Palazzo della Signoria—the first level fitted with rusticated stone; the second with smooth blocks and the third with unbroken stone. A large cornice juts from the top, as in the Roman temples of old. Ground-floor windows were added by Michelangelo in 1516-17.
An arcade with Brunelleschian devices fits the courtyard; above, medallions express the Medici coat of arms and other significant family symbols. This formal courtyard provided a space for familial, social and civic functions that helped emphasize the family’s might and status.